Positional Based vs. Interest Based Negotiations: Strategies and Tactics for Achieving Successful Negotiations with Your Supply Chain Contract Partner
Supervisor, Contracts and Supply Chain Management
- Identifying who will participate in the negotiating team;
- Determining when outside legal counsel may be required
- Understanding the objectives of a negotiating strategy:
- Clearly defining terms and conditions for each party
- Establish timelines and compensation
- Identify constraints and risks; establish alternatives
- Tips for developing and strengthening the relationship and partnership
- Establishing trust as the foundation to a successful contract relationship
- Understanding the key differences between interest-based and positional-based negotiations
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?
- Ranking your negotiating priorities; What are the key objectives for your organization?
- Identifying you counter party’s objectives.
What are their strengths and weaknesses?
- Realizing the role of communication indicators, body language and cultural traits in the negotiating process
- Learning the importance of location when conducting negotiations;
- Choosing the right location? How could this affect your strategy?
- When should you walk away?
- Negotiating strategies and tips