Concurrent Investigations between Homicide and the IIO, SIU and Similar Organizations
Ontario Special Investigations Unit
Insp. Laurence Rankin
Vancouver Police Dept.
Chief Civilian Director
Independent Investigations Office, BC
Michael J. Sekela O.O.M., M.A.
Director of Investigations
Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT)
- How much should the IIO-type organization cooperate, e.g. share statements and evidence with the police force?
- What if a witness cooperating with the IIO subsequently becomes an accused?
- Contrasting the approaches of the IIO and Ontario’s SIU
- Risks both investigative agencies face in dealing with these issues
- The MOU between the IIO and BC police departments.