When and How to Secure a License from the US Department of Commerce: A Practical Guide to Using Form 748P AND SNAP-R, and Preventing Delays

Jan 27, 2014 6:30pm – 

As more items move from ITAR to the EAR, it is critical that Canadian industry understands the licensing process at the US Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security. In many cases, companies in Canada will now need to secure an EAR license rather than work with their U.S. counterparts on getting an ITAR license or TAA. The process for preparing an EAR license application is significantly different than under the ITAR, and errors can cause undue delays and significant business interruptions.

At this workshop, expert speakers will bring you up to speed on the do’s and don’ts for preparing and submitting an EAR license application. Through a review of sample license applications, they will take you through when a license is required, what is required for approval, and how to fill out the forms.

Topics will include:
• Determining when a license is and is NOT required
• Export control reform transition rules affecting EAR licensing
• Key differences between a general license vs. an individually validated license
• The approvals process, timeframe and how to reduce the risk of delay
• How to fill out the SNAP-R form
• New licensing techniques: What to include and how to submit the application
– how to fill out the forms
– what BIS expects, looks for and requires
– supplemental information required
– developing data sheets, end-user statements, and cover letters
• How to complete the SNAP-R Form
• Preparing supporting documentation: verifi cation of ECCN’s; end-use of items to be exported
– supporting documents supplied by the prospective purchaser or the government of the country of the ultimate destination
– international import certificate
– statement of ultimate consignee and purchaser
• How licensing determinations are made by BIS
• What triggers an RWA
• When and how to amend a license